When it comes to owning a car, you know that regular vehicle maintenance is essential to keep it running for a long time. However, which bits of maintenance can you handle alone, and which services should you ask a professional to attend to? There is no perfect answer to this question, as your personal skill level may differ from that of your neighbor. To make things easier for our clients, we have laid out a list of services divided by difficulty, so as to help you determine what is within your own skill level.
The basic level: These vehicle maintenance requirements are great for beginners, as they require basic tools and simple procedures.
- Washing your Car: Believe it or not, washing your car is a form of preventative maintenance. Rust builds quickly on a dirty car, so it is best to clean it often. This job requires basic tools such as water, soap, towels, and a willingness to use your muscle!
- Changing your Oil: Everyone knows they need to change the oil in their cars every few thousand miles. For this entry level job you need a wrench or socket for the drain plug and filter, and you may need to raise the front of your vehicle to access the drain plug. You will also need to buy the right kind of oil, filter, and a receptacle to catch the old oil.
- Changing your Windshield Wipers: No tools required for most vehicles. Just follow the directions in your vehicle user manual, or on the package of your new windshield wipers.
- Adjusting your Tire Pressure: With a pressure gauge and access to compressed air, you can fill your own air tires with very little experience.
The intermediate level: For the following, you will need more than just basic tools. You’ll probably need a fully stocked tool box with pliers, sockets, open end wrenches, and screwdrivers.
- Changing your Spark Plugs: All you need is some patience, a socket wrench, and a feeler gauge.
- Changing your Brakes: Count on your repair manual for this one, but with the right tools and supplies, you may be able to handle this on your own.
The advanced level: These issues are typically too advanced for your typical residential garage, as far as tools and lifting capabilities go. Repairs in the advanced level usually require professional tools and skill.
If you need help with car repairs in Mesa, AZ, call the auto experts at Street Automotive! 480-641-8784